Saturday, September 02, 2006

I am firmly of the opinion if you can drive like a Sicilian in Palermo you can drive anywhere.

Kos has one main road running from Kefalos in the south to Kos Town in the north. Smaller roads, less well paved in many cases, lead off to the coast or into the mountains. There are few cars and all is well with the world.

Until I come face to face with a bus coming round a bend on the road to the Asfendiou villages. Driving in a city does not prepare you for reversing round a bend on a mountain. Not to mention I'm on the wrong side of the car on the wrong side of the road in a car that is so quiet you can't even tell if the engine is running (approximately fourteen years younger than my loyal jalopy). The bus driver looks incredibly bored as he stares at me making feeble attempts to get out of his way. I don't panic (much). A German tourist stops me from hitting a ridiculously parked car. The bus passes by.

I was firmly of the opinion if you can drive like a Sicilian in Palermo you can drive anywhere.



View of Tingaki salt lake and neighbouring island from Zia


Andimachia Castle built by the Crusaders in the 1300s




3 comments:

Doug said...

What wonderful pictures! I am so glad you had a good time. I would be afraid to drive if I came to the U.K., I would probably forget what side of the road to drive on and I would cause an accident. I learned how to drive in Pittsburgh, and that is scary enough. Boston is supposed to be worse, though.

Shep said...

caption for Ems in the picture:

"Of course, I remember when all this was fields..."

Hobbit's Journal said...

Some lovely photo's there.