Saturday, April 15, 2006

Signs

Two signs spotted from the number 5 bus today:

1. A shop with no name on the Barking Road, Upton Park, has the following written on the awning: EVERYTHING YOU WANT FOR DAILY NEEDS. OPEN 366 DAYS A YEAR.

2. A small poster in Tippy's Cafe (English by day; Thai by night) at East Ham, and replicated on a much greater scale on the railings of Upton Park football ground, advertising the upcoming local elections: May the 4th be with you. Vote.

I'll let you guess which one made me laugh and which had my cringing in my boots.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, I am generally appalled by the poor grammar in many commercial signs. My biggest pet peeve is "Rite Aid". Rites imply religious services. So shouldn't Rite Aid be selling crosses, Stars of David, candles, chalices, and altars? Ha ha ha!

My other one is from Microsoft. Every time I start my computer, I am greeted with "Windows is Starting Up" when it should simply read "Windows is Starting".

http://indigohalo.com/pblog/index.php

rubyslipperlady said...

I love it.