Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Voices from Africa

Glancing through Guardian readers' recommendations for their "literary discoveries of the year" I was jolted out of my Saturday morning reverie when I came across Ahmadou Kourouma's Allah Is Not Obliged.

This is one of the most moving and powerful novels I have ever read but I have never been able to force it on anyone who doesn't speak fluent French. (Not many then in this country of monoglots). I first read it five or six years ago and it is now available in translation. (A good one I hope).

This is the story of Birahima. A ten year-old from the Ivory Coast who becomes a child soldier.

It leaves you wondering how something written with such humour and lucidity can be so harrowing, ridiculous and shocking.

5 comments:

pat said...

proud to be a monoglot.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for that, sounds very interesting and i do speak french so i'm going to give it a go.

Anonymous said...

Sounds interesting Ems. I may have to give it a try. I'll place it on my list. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

hmmm, it's been translated eh? Have you read the translation? Does it lose something in the translation? It sounds very interesting...

ems said...

Olives - I haven't seen the translation. Part of me doesn't want to in case something has been lost. I am going to take a peek if I see it in a bookshop.