Sunday, October 19, 2008

Vingt-quatre heures

Looking at myself in the rear view mirror stuck in traffic this afternoon I laughed as I remembered something I read trackside yesterday:

My sister, Mrs. Joe, with black hair and eyes, had such a prevailing redness of skin that I sometimes used to wonder whether is was possible she washed herself with a nutmeg-grater instead of soap.

I now find myself teaching something called academic support. Students take one less GCSE to access support for the others. So, I'm a jack of all trades. To help out with current coursework demands I'm on a crash course to read Great Expectations and Of Mice and Men for Tuesday. The quote above comes from the former novel. (Anyone brings maths to the lesson and the game's up).

I am bright red. The nutmeg-grater sprang to mind but I think we can blame the cold.

Last night, I slept in 3 pairs of socks, 2 pairs of leggings, jeans, 1 vest, 4 long-sleeved t-shirts, 2 hoodies, 1 scarf, 1 pair of thermal cycling gloves and 1 hot water bottle in a tent. It's mid-October and bloody cold.

On another note: how do big people fit in sleeping bags? Do they come in different sizes? I slept remarkably well in my borrowed tent but when I moved the sleeping bag moved with me. Trying to turn in the bag was pointless; I fitted it too well.

The boy completed his third 24 hour race in one year and one week. A personal best of 119 miles. He assures me this is the last....

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You need a 3 season sleeping bag, that way it can be -15C outside and you will still be warm without the extra socks !

As I recall sleeping bags only come in three sizes, child, adult and double.

I hope C. was suitably grateful for your suffering.

pat said...

what he meant was: it is the last time he doesn't crack 120 miles.

ems said...

Pat, just read your comment to C. It would appear you are right: "I'm going to train better and harder next time"....Aaaahhh.

Looks like I may be taking Ross's advice on 3 season sleeping bag.